Monday, March 18, 2013

Keys

There is always something “out there” to provoke controversy and cause people's tempers to flare. I like to be around people as much as anyone, but there's something to be said for alone time, too.

I just heard someone say, “I'm going to be stuck in this godforsaken town for the rest of my life.”

I wanted to say, “All that's stopping you is you.”

Instead I asked, “Where do you want to go?”

We learn to hold ourselves back. And we make excuses to keep ourselves down. And we may not even realize we are doing this. But maybe we do.

“I can't change anything right now. There's the job, the house, the kids, the spouse, the, the, the...”

“If I leave I will damage the kids for life.”

“If I stay I will damage only me.”

“I can't abandon my parents. They will need me.”

“I have to stay on the safe side of the sidewalk.”

WE hold OURSELVES back.

So it logically follows that we also can free ourselves...if we can overcome our fears.

(c) 2013 Cathy Thomas Brownfield ~ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. No part of this blog or blog entry may be used without the consent of the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment